Who is a Professional Dancer ?
A choreographer or Professional Dancer is an individual who creates choreographies by practicing the art of choreography, a process known as choreographing. If you have a question that How To Be a Professional Dancer? Then, you are at a right place. This Blog will help you to decide career option as a Choreographer
Choreography is used in various fields. Such as ballet, opera, musical theater, cheer leading, cinematography, gymnastics, skating, marching band, theatre, swimming, video game production, and animated art. The choreographers are the dance teachers who teach different types of dance styles.
Need of Choreographer in Various Fields
The choreographer is needed in various fields. Undoubtedly, dance is not only used for entertainment but it is also used as an exercise to fit our body. Given below are some needs of the choreographer:
- Highly Required for dance events to give their professional performance.
- When someone wants to keep their body fit and fine.
- To provide training in wedding events, So that Participants can give a better dance performance.
- Provide sessions to students in Schools and Universities.
- Highly demanded in movies and TV serials where artists can give a dance in one shot.
- Teaches dance step by step without grievances during any kind of performance.
- Moreover, they are also required in various devotional programs and traditional festivals on multiple occasions.
Types Of Choreographers
There are several types of choreographers who are specialized in one or more than one form. A professional choreographer is one who knows all the forms of dance and has full knowledge about the choreography. Let see some different types of choreographers as given below:
In Dance we have:
- Contemporary Dance
- Jazz Dance
- Hip-hop Dance
- Fork Dance
- Classical Dance
- Techno Dance
- Pop Dance or K Pop Dance
Not only in dance, but the choreography can also be done in any field. Such as in Skating, musical theater, cheerleading, cinematography, gymnastics, fashion shows, marching band, theatre, swimming, video game production, and animated art. And who knows all the above Choreography he or she can say it as a Professional Choreography.
Approximately 300 Choreographers are working all over the world.
If you want to start your career in choreography then it will be a great choice. It gives us lots of learning and practice from others about the steps and the forms of dance. Moreover, you can also say it is the best exercise to stay healthy ourselves and others.
The work of choreographers can be seen in a variety of performances like ballet, opera, musicals, movies, television, music videos, and commercials.
Lets us see some requirement to be a choreographer as following:-
–Eligibility To Be Professional Dancer
Choreographers should have many years of experience at their work, with their dance training usually beginning at a very young age. The choreography requires lots of practice, hard work, and should have learning skills to catch the steps easily. A choreographer can seek work not only with dance companies but also for film, television, and commercials. Even successful choreographers can experience gaps in employment, like many other artists, so it’s wise to consider secondary employment as well.
-Education and Qualification
Basically to become a choreographer does not need a special degree you can have any degree it’s just according to your interest and practice, but if you want to be a certified professional choreographer then it is obvious that it requires at least a bachelor’s degree in dance. Normally this degree is the duration of 2-years programs, this degree you can learn deeply about dance with its different styles, theory, and composition with music.
Additionally, If you want to go in the research then you can also avail of the Master’s program or in a Doctoral (Ph.D.) program. This will give you more knowledge and opportunity in the choreography.
-Soft Skills Required For a Choreographer
- Firstly, You must be a active listener who can pay full attention towards his Directors and Choreographers.
- Secondly you must have a Capability and Capacity to quickly capture change in Dancing Trend
- Thirdly, you should be able to display Ideas through your dancing actions.
- Also you need to do Active and Good interacting with co staff, other choreographers or performers.
Scope for a Professional Dancer
Choreographers are dance teachers who teach dance; it has lots of scope in staged performances, events, festivals, etc. Most choreographers are dancers who have been training and performing since they were very young. Choreographers can earn up to INR 50,000 to 1.5 lakhs per month as working in other organizations. Moreover, after getting experience and practice you can also invest to start the business in choreography where you can earn up to INR 90,000 to 2 lakh per month.
-How The Role of Choreographer has changed over the years
In past years the scope for choreographer is not so much. But, in the changing time it is demanding very high. the scope for choreographers rose rapidly as the duties of choreographer is not only limited to teaching the dance steps but also setting for the scenes of whole song, deciding the theme for the songs, Moreover, they have to take care of the positions of the co stars and directing the whole scene.
Furthermore, they have to decide the expressions and actions according to the song.
-Different Earning Ways For a Professional Dancer
- They can Start their own academy.
- Become a Dancer Teacher in Schools or Universities.
- Conduct Sessions
- Start a YouTube Channel
- Enroll themselves in big dance agencies as a Trainer.
Salary and Income of Choreographers
In 2017, the median salary for choreographers is $23.28 per hour, according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics. The lowest 10 percent was less than $10.26 per hour, and the highest 10 percent made $30.95 or more per hour. However the salary of professional dancers varies vastly.
Some Popular And Inspirational Choreographer
- Remo D’sSouza: Indian dancer, choreographer.
- Farah Khan: Indian actress, dancer, and choreographer
- Prabhu Deva: Indian dance choreographer
- Saroj Khan: Indian dance choreographer
- George Balanchine (1904-1983):choreographer in the world of ballet.
All the best for your Career, Success is waiting for you, Go and Grab it.
You can also read other businesses you can do with your hobbies lying within our category Earn from Hobbies or You can go through other career options here. Don’t forget to like and follow us on Facebook and Instagram.Edit